dimanche 20 mai 2018

Tips and tutorials Festival... Hanging sleeve, manchon de courtepointe...

For the ''Tips and Tutorials Festival'', I prepared a bilingual tutorial for my friends quilters who can't read in English. In my research, I did not find any French explanations for putting a hanging sleeve on a quilt. So, for our next exhibition, here is the ''How to do''  with beautiful pictures for a better understanding.  Hope my own english is not so bad  (I'm a french speaking people too)!...



Voici les étapes pour poser un manchon de courtepointe.
How to put a hanging sleeve on the back of a quilt.

1.  Je mesure la largeur de la courtepointe
How large is your quilt?


2.  Je coupe une pièce de tissu de cette largeur et de 9'' de long.  J'aurai un manchon de 4''.

I cut a piece of fabric 9'' long and the width of my quilt.  I will have a 4'' hanging sleeve.


3.  Je plie 1/4'' par 2 fois sur chaque bout court de la pièce de tissu pour avoir une belle finition.

I fold 1/4'' on the short ends of fabric, twice, for a nice finish.

Je fais cette opération avec la valeur du retour du côté extérieur du manchon afin que rien ne vienne bloquer la pôle lors de  son insertion dans le manchon.  La pôle glissera d'un bord à l'autre sans problème.

I don't want to be bothered when I slide the pole inside the hanging sleeve.  So, I fold the fabric toward the outer of the hanging sleeve  Look the  picture above.



4.  Je couds très près du bord.

I sew near the edge.



5.  Je plie, envers contre envers, la pièce de tissus sur la longueur.  Je presse sur le pli.

Next, I fold the fabric, wrong sides together, on the long side and I press on the fold.



6.  J'ouvre la bande de tissu et je replie chaque côté vers le centre, en suivant le pli au fer.  Je presse sur les 2 côtés.  Ces 2 nouveaux plis seront importants bientôt.  Je m'assure de les garder visibles.  Ils seront mes guides pour coudre le manchon sur l'endos de la courtepointe.

I open the piece of fabric and fold each side towards the center, following the fold mark in the center.  I press on each side to mark 2 new  folds .  Those 2 new folds will be my guide to sew the hanging sleeve on the back of the quilt.



7.  Je plie, envers contre envers, la bande de tissu sur sa longueur et je couds d'un bout à l'autre à 1/2''.
I fold  wrong sides together,  on the long side,  and sew with a seam allowance of 1/2''.






8.  Je ramène cette couture vers le centre du tube ainsi formé et je presse la valeur de couture ouverte.  Cette valeur de couture sera dissimulée lors de la pose.

I center the seam allowance in the middle of the tube and I press it opened .  It  will be hidden when sewn to the  quilt backing.
En pressant, j'essaie de garder visibles les 2 plis faits auparavant.  J'aurai besoin d'eux plus tard.

When pressing, I try to keep visible the 2 folds made previously.  We will need of them later.

Le manchon est prêt à être posé.
I'm ready to sew my hanging sleeve.


Pour que le haut de la courtepointe ne retombe pas, lorsque suspendue lors d'une exposition, il ne faut pas poser le manchon trop bas.
It's important not to sew the hanging sleeve too low on the quilt  backing.  The top of the quilt will be straight if I follow those instructions.


On peut prendre  le même tissu ou un tissu différent.  Ici, je voulais que les étapes soient claires.
I choose a different fabric to show the steps.

9.  Je trace une ligne au crayon marqueur à environ 3/4 pouce du haut, d'un côté à l'autre de la courtepointe.

Trace a line with a marker at about 3/4'', from left to right, at the top of the quilt.


10.  Je centre le manchon de la courtepointe à l'endos.

Be sure the hanging sleeve is centered.





11.  Je m'assure que la valeur de couture ouverte est appuyée sur l'endos de la courtepointe.

Put the opened seam of the hanging sleeve directly on the  quilt backing , like on the picture.


12.  Je  place le pli du haut du manchon en suivant la ligne droite tracée au marqueur et j' épingle.

I follow the marked line with the fold  at the top of the hanging sleeve and I pin together.

13.  Je couds le haut du manchon à points invisibles.

I sew with hidden stitches the hanging sleeve to the quilt backing , following the line.


14.  Je recherche le pli du bas.

I'm looking for the bottom fold.

On remarque la partie avant du manchon qui dégage un espace pour insérer la pôle de suspension.  C'est ce que nous voulons.  Avec ce dégagement, notre courtepointe tombera bien droite lorsque suspendue et nous ne verrons pas le manchon à la tête de la courtepointe.

You will see that the front of the hanging sleeve is a little bit longer than the back.  It's OK.
At the quilt exhibition,  there will have enough  space to slide the pole into the sleeve.

15.  Je couds maintenant sur le pli du bas du manchon, toujours à points invisibles.

I now sew the second fold of the hanging sleeve on the  quilt backing.

16.  Une dernière étape.  Je couds la partie arrière du manchon de chaque côté .  De cette façon, la pôle ne glissera pas entre le manchon et la courtepointe.

One last step.  I sew the  back edges  of the hanging sleeve to the quilt backing.  That way, the pole will not slide between the hanging sleeve and the quilt.


Et voilà!  le manchon est cousu.
Voilà!  the hanging sleeve is sewn.

Bonne exposition tout le monde!
Have a nice quilt show everybody!

Laissez-moi savoir si vous voulez un tutoriel en particulier, je verrai ce que je peux faire!
Let me know if you want a tutorial, I'll see if I could make it.

Suivez-moi sur Bloglovin.  Appuyez sur le bouton à gauche ou abonnez-vous à mon blog.
Follow me on Bloglovin!!!  Push the button at left.

Céline




















5 commentaires:

  1. This tutorial comes just in time for me. I've never put a hanging sleeve on a quilt before, but I am thinking that the applique projects I've been working on would make nice wall hangings. Thank you for sharing your method!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. This is a lovely tutorial for a hanging sleeve, and I hope that it is really beneficial as a French tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing and linking up with the Tips and Tutorials Festival!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks for taking the time to make this wee tutorial Celine it was very easy to follow. Greta tip on sewing the ends so the pole can not be threaded in the wrong place!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer

Au plaisir de vous lire!